Thursday 27 December 2012

Review: Oath of Servitude

Title: Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence #1)
Author: C.E. Wilson
Publisher: Self-published
Released: September 2012
Rating: 3 of 5 stars

When I first saw this I was somewhat hesitant, for several reasons.  Yet I have to admit my curiosity was also peaked when I saw that Wilson's plot centred around a foot tall pixie and a normal-sized guy.  Naturally the curiousity won out and, while it's let me down more times than I can count, this time it lead me to an enjoyable read.

Cailin is angry when she finds out that she is being sent to live with two humans for a year - this as punishment for breaking a few rules.  She must serve an Oath of Servitude, and her task is to help the human child; while 20 is considered more adult from a human's point of view, compared to a pixie's lifespan it's nothing.  She doesn't even know what she's supposed to do.  An accident in a game of baseball cost him his sight and now he spends his days in drunken isolation, neither his father nor his friends unable to get through to him.  However, after meeting Teague, her feelings begin to change, both about humans in general and Teague specifically.  At the same time trouble is brewing back home, threatening the stability of her family.

Cailin is, to coin Teague's phrase, 'spunky'.  She's not one for backing down; she'll say what's on her mind and she's not afraid to have a go at Teague.  Everone's tiptoeing around him may be what he wants but she's not about to give in.  Hers is quite a singular image to have in mind: pink hair dyed red (I guess pink hair just isn't cool enough for this pixie), pink eyes and one foot tall.  It was definitely interesting to see humans and our world from her perspective.  With her initial anger came fear, something that took time to get over, and her struggle to overcome it came across clearly.

Something I would have liked to see is more world-building in terms of where the pixies actually lived; the book mentioned they were in the forest, but then they each had their own room, they were in an actual constructed setting.  I wanted a clearer image of these two separate worlds: pixie and human.  I also wanted to know more about the Darkness, a form of punishment that effectively costs pixies their minds. The opening of the book, and also the end, became very repetitive because the horror of the Darkness was always referred to yet never actually explained.

The main question for me right from the start was: how could a relationship between a six-foot tall guy (or thereabouts) and a one-foot tall pixie possibly work?  Surprisingly, it did.  Their relationship, as far as Cailin and Teague's fathers were concerned, was only supposed to go as far as Cailin helping Teague get his life back on track.  And she definitely helped him do that..  Being blind meant he was not prejudiced by sight and even when he found out the truth he didn't completely lose it.  It was sweet to see him listen to Cailin and grow to respect her, and see her just be there for him and make him understand what he was doing to himself.  Her role transformed from unwilling helper, to a friend who genuinely cared, to someone who wanted to be with him but saw no way of it being possible under the circumstances.  Teague and his father Owen also have more to their stories than is let on, although Owen is the one holding the secrets.

Despite this appearing somewhat unpromising, I did really enjoy Oath of Servitude.  I haven't read a pixie book in ages and this one definitely kept me entertained.  It was admittedly a little frustrating - so much was alluded to but never explained.  I'm hoping that there'll be some well-explained answers in the sequel.  Still, I'm glad I gave this one a chance.

9 comments:

  1. I've been seeing this one around a lot. The concept is really interesting and unique, for sure. Something you brought to my attention was how the guy is five feet taller than the girl? I didn't know it was that much of a difference. This makes me doubtful of the novel but if you say it works I'll give it a shot! Awesome review, and thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this book before, but I'm intrigued by the idea of a romance between a pixie and a human too, Aa'Ishah! You definitely got me curious and I'm very much interested in seeing how it all worked out. It's too bad about the lack of world-building of the pixies though. I would have wanted more too, so I understand you. Still, I'm glad to hear that Oath of Servitude was a pleasant read for you. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, the premise of this book - most note-worthy the relationship between a pixie and a human - is quite strange to me... I can't picture it! :3 But if you say it works then the author must be pretty crafty to be able to do that! It's a pity that there's not much world-building - I hate when a book isn't built on a solid back story for the setting! :o

    Anyway. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won an ecopy of this book via a giveaway but I haven't actually read it yet. I've NEVER read pixie books and the story does sound intriguing so I might give it a try soon.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts,Aa'Ishah!Hope you are enjoying the Holiday season. :)

    You should check out the reading challenge that I signed up for,it might actually help to reduce my TBR pile and there's a giveaway involved so give it a try! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever read a book about pixies and this one seems rather interesting...

    A relationship between a human and a pixie? Just wow. I wouldn't think that would work either but from what you've said, it seems beautiful in a way. I love when characters are just there for each other. But it's a shame it didn't really deliver on the world-building front. I hate when things are never explained thoroughly!

    Great review, Aa'Ishah <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does seem like a strange combo for a romance, Aa'Ishah. Glad to see you liked it overall, in spite of some issues. Great review. (I'm supposed to be on a blogging break, so shhh!!! I was never here!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow that is a huge size difference, but the romance still worked out? This book definitely has a lot going on for it, I would never have considered it if it wasn't for your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a cute book! I've never heard of it, but a book from the POV of a pixie has to be interesting. And that certainly is a weird type of romance right there. Great review!

    Millie @ Millie D's Words

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really different - I now wonder how Cailin sees the human world from her pixie's perspective. Loved your review, Aa'Ishah!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Please feel free to leave a comment, I love hearing from you all! I read every one and do my best to visit your blog in return. I look forward to hearing your thoughts! :)

Please note that this blog is now an award-free zone. I appreciate the thought, but unfortunately I just don't have the time anymore.